HIGHMARK helps engineers, contractors, building owners and building operators who are serious about building efficiency and sustainability by rigorously vetting the best technologies, embracing new innovations and challenging the status quo, with a focus on HVAC, energy services and water management. Since 2013, we’ve partnered with likeminded industry leaders from across the globe in order to bring to market high-quality and advanced products and technologies that will better the built environment for centuries to come.
HIGHMARK has done what no one in New York City and across the Northeast has achieved – go against the status quo and tirelessly work to increase building efficiency, thus curbing energy consumption, fostering sustainability, supporting renewables, cutting energy and operational costs, boosting ROI and enriching peoples’ lives. HIGHMARK is the only company bringing the world’s top efficiency-focused technologies to buildings in New York City and throughout the Northeast.
The company is motivated by these facts: 1) Buildings consume 40% of the U.S.’s energy, 2) Buildings use more energy than any country except China and the U.S. and 3) New York City’s buildings generate three-quarters of its emissions. This motivation drives HIGHMARK to search the world for the best, most innovative and most reliable building-efficiency technologies, which are then tailored to specific building needs in New York City and the Northeast.
HIGHMARK is unique in its unparalleled experience, knowledge, expertise and global reach. The company’s combined 25-plus years in HVAC engineering means they know which technologies make the most sense for each job, and they understand what works and what doesn’t, thus saving countless hours and expenses. In addition, the team consists of hundreds of skilled HVAC professionals from across the world that are brought in depending on their capabilities, thus maximizing effectiveness.
With over 25 years of combined HVAC experience and a frustration with the lack of innovation and customer focus in the building industry, Richard Gerbe and Anthony Sannazzaro co-founded HIGHMARK in April 2013 to challenge the status quo. They knew that a better way existed for implementing the best products and technologies on the market today in order to increase the efficiency of commercial buildings.
Today, HIGHMARK is considered a pioneer in building efficiency as it searches the world for the most innovative products and technologies on the market. The team is comprised of a global network of HVAC professionals relentlessly committed to ensuring buildings operate as efficiently as possible. Since its founding, the company has experienced double-digit annual growth, and continues to expand its extensive client base.
As co-founders of HIGHMARK, Richard Gerbe and Anthony Sannazzaro lead a global team of HVAC professionals dedicated to improving building efficiency.
Richard Gerbe, a 2017 ENR New York Top Young Professional and a 2016 Consulting-Specifying Engineer 40 Under 40 Award Winner, is a visionary and seasoned HVAC authority with nearly two decades of industry experience. His robust expertise in the best and most innovative products, technologies and processes available today for boosting building efficiency is unparalleled. Gerbe is committed to challenging the HVAC industry’s status quo and imparting a new mentality centered on greater efficiency in the built environment.
Prior to co-founding HIGHMARK, Gerbe worked as both a consulting and sales engineer at Trane for almost a decade, as well as held several other top-level positions at leading engineering and consulting companies in the HVAC industry. He received a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the New York Institute of Technology.
Anthony Sannazzaro, 2017 Consulting-Specifying Engineer 40 Under 40 Award Winner, is a leading commercial HVAC expert, and his proficiency in chilled-water system design, unitary products, complex airside design, ice storage, controls and energy analysis is unmatched. Sannazzaro is tireless in his efforts to apply his considerable expertise to his client projects in order to boost building efficiency and cut energy use and costs.
Prior to co-founding HIGHMARK, Sannazzaro worked at Trane as a sales engineer for nearly a decade. As a technical expert, he collaborated with industry-leading engineers on numerous high-profile local and international projects, many of which earned top-level LEED certifications. He received a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology and is a LEED Accredited Professional.
Headquartered in New York City, the HIGHMARK organization consists of a global team of hundreds of HVAC professionals from the company’s manufacturing partners across the world, including the U.S., Canada, Europe, Asia and Latin America.
Our core team represents over 25 years of combined experience helping engineers, contractors, building owners and building operators run their commercial buildings as efficiently, cost-effectively and reliably as possible. Our customers represent the best in the business and our partners are leaders in furthering building efficiency.
Our customers are serious about operating buildings as efficiently as possible, and we provide them with the best and most innovative technologies from across the world to achieve this goal.
We only work with companies that support our core belief of going against the status quo in order to operate buildings as efficiently as possible, and our partners are leaders in their fields when it comes to building efficiency.
HIGHMARK is proud to recognize our four core principles that serve as the basis of our culture since they define our character and values. These qualities are shared convictions that we expect to guide our associates both professionally and personally.
- Organizational Strength: Strong leadership is the foundation of a strong organization. HIGHMARK’s leadership seeks to create trust, promote ingenuity, emphasize customer service and inspire a positive culture. HIGHMARK’s leadership will lead with integrity because leadership demands responsibility.
- Accountability: Since our reputation is always on the line, HIGHMARK’s culture will be that of accountability. This will be demonstrated by: 1) adhering to the highest ethical business practices, 2) efficient operations, 3) transparency to our associates, 4) following our beliefs and founding principles and 5) achieving excellence in customer service.
- Expertise: HIGHMARK seeks to become the industry authority in the systems we sell. Our highly trained sales engineers will focus on research and education in order to be the “go-to-guys” in each of our product categories. Our sales force will be the most adept in the industry at bringing about positive change to the marketplace.
- Authenticity: Strong belief in our mission is at the core of the business, causing passion to exude from the team. Our core beliefs are what will continually guide and inspire HIGHMARK to grow and adapt. We believe that authenticity produces sincerity, upon which all the best sales organizations are based. Above all, HIGHMARK will remain committed to our core beliefs and true to our cause.
As we seek to make buildings more efficient, we’re differentiated by the following key attributes:
- Challenging the status quo: We’re working to change the commercial building industry, which is stagnant, lacks new technologies and is limited in terms of innovation, and therefore we’re constantly challenging the status quo.
- Serious about efficiency: We’re serious about vetting and identifying the best products, technologies and innovations that not only perform better, but also maximize efficiency, reduce energy costs and further sustainability.
- Hub for the world’s best products and technologies: We’ve searched the world for the best and most innovative HVAC products and technologies on the market today so that our clients can access them in one central location.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise: We serve as an extension of our manufacturing partners through a keen understanding of the best products, technologies and processes for the job – we know what works and what doesn’t.
- Robust global team: We lead a global team of hundreds the most qualified and innovative HVAC professionals in the industry, spanning multiple continents – from the Americas to Europe to Asia.
- Professional organization: We’re committed to the utmost professionalism in our operations, ensuring an easy and streamlined customer experience from start to finish.
- Embracing innovation: The building industry is ripe to embrace new innovations that will maximize efficiency, reduce costs and extend equipment life.
- Robust industry experience: With decades of combined HVAC experience working on some of the largest commercial projects in the nation, our sales engineers offer unparallelled engineering expertise.
- Committed to sustainability: We support green-building and sustainability initiatives through our innovative products and technologies.
- Focused on the customer: We’re committed to meeting the customers’ needs first and foremost.
- Personal driving professional: Our personal goals of environmental stewardship drive our professional goals of challenging the status quo in the building industry.