SHARC Wastewater Energy Recovery
Last Line of Defense for Energy Recovery
Valuable Energy Sent Down the Drain
Every day, vast amounts of hot water containing valuable energy are used once before being discarded down the drain. In the U.S., 350+ billion kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy are added annually to domestic potable water between point of building intake and exit. In North America and the E.U., 87+ billion gallons of wastewater are discharged down the sewers each day. The energy in this wastewater can replace 1.5 billion megawatt hours (Mwh) of natural gas consumption.
SHARC Captures Wastewater’s Thermal Energy
How can this significant energy jettison be captured and reused? The solution is SHARC Energy Systems, a world leader in wastewater energy recovery. SHARC technology captures the nearly limitless supply of wastewater’s thermal energy to provide sustainable heating, cooling and conditioning for many building types. What this means is that SHARC is the last line of defense for energy recovery.
Benefits of SHARC Wastewater Energy Recovery
SHARC technology is the optimal choice for wastewater energy recovery for the following reasons:
- Preventing energy waste: SHARC recycles wastewater’s thermal energy, thus realizing the most energy-efficient and economical systems for heating, cooling and producing hot water. Wastewater is a constant and inexhaustible resource that can carry ~25% of a building’s daily energy consumption. This makes wastewater energy recovery extremely impactful.
- Recovering heat: SHARC technology extracts the natural warmth contained within wastewater. It then transfers the heat to the clean side of the heating system via a heat exchanger. The recovered heat is amplified via heat pumps to generate the appropriate temperatures for use in buildings. Heat energy accounts for 50%+ of building energy consumption, so it makes sense to seek out alternative heating energy sources. Wastewater heat recovery provides this source, resulting in reduced costs and carbon emissions.
- Decreasing carbon emissions: Utilizing SHARC technology in a typical building results in 75% savings on natural gas consumption. This leads to a substantial decrease in carbon emissions.
- Supporting building electrification: SHARC’s electric systems provide key support to building electrification efforts. They’re also in line with electrification’s main goal of cutting carbon emissions.
- Reducing costs for clients: By recovering heat from wastewater, SHARC technology significantly reduces costs for its clients.
- Benefiting many building types: SHARC technology can be deployed in many types of commercial, residential, institutional and industrial buildings. Specific targeted buildings include high-rise condos, hospitals, hotels and universities, to name a few.
- Excelling in retrofits and new developments: SHARC’s flexible technology functions as a retrofit or as part of new developments.
- Efficient, cost-effective, scalable and reliable: The thermo-mechanical methods used in SHARC technology are efficient, cost-effective, scalable and reliable. This offers a truly sustainable and odorless heating and cooling source.
PIRANHA Thermal Energy Recovery System
- Suitable for a wide range of applications, including multi-unit residential and commercial
- High efficiencies in Coefficient of Performance (COP); operates at COPs of 4-6, which is 400-600% more efficient than conventional equipment
- Supports green-building objectives, delivering zero-emission water heating
- Provides clean, eco-friendly, renewable water heating without carbon emissions
- Delivers operational cost savings with fast ROI
- Robust design with minimal maintenance required
- Long product lifecycle (over 25 years)
- Hot water temperature up to 140°F (60°C)
- Available in sizes ranging from 3-15 nominal tons
- Delivers 80% of the domestic hot water heating load
- Vibration isolation gaskets and compressor noise suppression jacket for quiet operation
- Scroll compressor
- Vented, double-walled heat exchanger is available as an option
- Odor-free operations
- 2016 AHR Expo Innovation Awards Winner
Let’s Work Together
4 Reasons to Do HVAC Service Now to Prepare for...
Heat-Pump Water Heaters – the Next Frontier of...
Cut Energy Costs by 40% with Preventive HVAC...