Water Filtration for Mechanical Systems
Our technologies are customized for each job. Contact us for specifications and more information:
Effective Water Filtration
A strong design is incomplete without implementing proper water-filtration technologies. Thus, this begs the question – what’s effective water filtration for a mechanical system? Not surprisingly, it depends on who you ask.
Therefore, to demystify water filtration in mechanical systems, HIGHMARK created this guide. The goals are to highlight the minimum filter requirements and recommend the most energy- and water-efficient solutions.
The Criticality of Water Filtration
The importance of filtration in air systems is easily understood. However, when it comes to water filtration, it tends to be a bit murky. To clear the water, particle contamination can cause inefficiencies in the system, not to mention fouling or bio-film build-up and acid erosion, which shortens the equipment’s lifetime.
As such, cutting out adequate filtration to save money now can end up costing more in the future. Moreover, in open-loop systems, the costs to the community are far worse. This is because of the potential of a Legionella outbreak due to inadequate filtration.
Biofilm buildup is a major problem in mechanical systems.
Corrosion of pipes happens frequently.
Local Law 77 Requirements
In August of 2015, NYC officials responded with Local Law 77. This was after several Legionella outbreaks and nearly half of the inspected cooling towers in the city testing positive for Legionella.
Consequently, this code requires all cooling towers, evaporation condensers and fluid coolers to be registered with the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Further, the systems must follow a maintenance program in compliance with ASHRAE Standard 188P. Ultimately, this demonstrates the importance of utilizing water-filtration technologies.
Definitive Guide to Water Filtration
Optimal water filtration for mechanical systems is critical for improved efficiency, performance and cost savings. This definitive guide lays out the different options to help you select the right system.
VAF V-Series™ Automatic Screen Filters
- State-of-the-art self-cleaning screen filtration technology
- Few moving parts (no electric motors, gearboxes, limit switches or pistons)
- Simple controls
- Flush waste is less than 1% of system flow
- Strong cleaning efficiencies
- Lower maintenance requirements
Vortisand High-Efficiency Microsand Filters
- High-capacity media filter that combines cross-flow dynamics with microsand media to achieve submicron filtration performance
- This technology allows the unit to operate at filtration rates of up to 4 times greater than those of traditional media filters, while filtering 10-50 times finer
- The high-capacity filter reduces water consumption, saves energy, reduces chemical costs and has minimal maintenance requirements
Contact Us for More Information
Our technologies are customized for each job. Contact us for specifications and more information.
Indoor Air Quality: Why It’s Essential for...
Indoor Pool Dehumidification: Create Healthier...
Infrastructure Bill 2021: What It Means for...
Energy Efficiency Day 2021: Save Money, Cut...
Climate Week NYC 2021: Building Efficiency to...
Office of the Future: 4 Strategies for an...